Website Manager

PSA Referee Program


PSA Referee Information

How to begin refereeing:

1) Contact the PSA Referee Assignor at [email protected] to express your interest in becoming a referee for the organization.  You will either need to attend a clinic put on by the PSA or by US Youth Soccer to become a certified referee.

2)      If you are currently certified, then email your experience to Jeff Skummer

3)      If you are under 16 years of age, PSA must have a valid work permit and birth certificate on file.  See the attached page on “Work Permit Information” for instructions on obtaining a work permit.

4)      If you are under 18 years of age, PSA must have a copy of your birth certificate on file.

5)      Complete the Medical Release Form and keep it with you when you are refereeing.  DO NOT send it to PSA.

6)      Complete the attached IRS W9 Tax Form and send an original to PSA.  You only need to submit this form once.

7)      Documents needed on file (birth certificate, work permit and W9) send to :

Plainfield Soccer Association

24118 W Chicago St, Suite 204

Plainfield, IL 60544


Jeff Skummer

Referee Assignor

Plainfield Soccer Association


[email protected]

Assignment System


What happens next:

o   When I have received all the above information, I will put you into the Assigning System called 

o   You will then receive an email with the following:  New Account Information

o   Follow the directions in the email.

o   When logged in, enter/update any of your information that needs it  (address, cell ph, etc…).

o   At the beginning of each season, I will send out an initial email with dates of recreation and travel.  You must then log in to and put in your availability.  If you do not put in your availability, I assume you are not able to ref that particular weekend. 

o   Once I assign a game/s to you, you will get an email to which you have to go back into and accept or decline your games.  It is important that you do this as soon as possible, so that I can find coverage if needed.

o has a tutorial and an excellent help page should you have questions about how to do anything on their website.  I am also available should you need help!

General Information:

o   ALL new referees will take ONE day-typically the first week or two of games-to come to the fields and observe two games BEFORE you will be able to referee on your own.  This allows you to ask questions and see what goes on before you are by yourself. 

o   All new referees will start out refereeing U6-U8 recreation games.

o   You will get a check for rec games from PSA twice during the season.

o   Please keep Jeff Skummer cell phone number with you in case you need to get a hold him.

Work Permit Information

If you are 12, 13, 14 or 15 years old, you must have a valid work permit and PSA must have a copy of it on file or you will not be allowed to referee any games.   The State Law requires that the work permit must be issued to PSA and only allows you to referee with PSA/CFJW.  A work permit is good for only one year and must be renewed every year until your 16t birthday. 

To obtain a work permit from your school, you MUST follow these steps:

·         Complete the attached work permit application form (Statement of Employer).

·         A parent/guardian must sign the application form.

·         Submit the following to your school office:

Statement of Employer
Copy of Birth Certificate
Current copy of Physical
Social Security Card

·         The school will complete a work permit form for you. (The permit is a 3 part form or a print out).
          We need to have the work permit on file. So please verify that the school will be sending us a copy.
          Otherwise you can send us a copy or email one to us.   

Illinois State Law requires the following for 12 and 13 year olds:

1)      You must have a valid work permit of file with PSA.

2)      You must be at least 3 years older than the players you are refereeing unless another referee who is 16 or older is on the field with you.

3)      A parent or guardian must be present at all times when child is refereeing.

In general, even for older referees PSA recommends that a parent or guardian be present while a child is refereeing.

Forms needed

Letter of Intent to Hire  (Statement of Employer) 

W-9 Form

IYSA Medical Release